Saint Anthony Society
New Castle, Delaware
Your Subtitle text
 Picture: John DiMondi, John Gambacorta, Alberto Zanni

History, traditions, accomplishments and short biographies  of our ancestors ......(we will post biographies of your ancestor - contact us)

     A History of the Italian Community of New Castle -- 1898 to 1978 -      

At the turn of the 20th century New Castle was a small town along the west shore of the Delaware River. New Castle was an important fishing port, the center of a rich agricultural section and a town with a background of having been the capital of a colony and state, and the county seat of government.

Italian immigrants arrived prior to the turn of the century. They were not the first immigrants, however. Before them came Dutch, Swedes, and English -- mostly Scotch-Irish. The Dutch in 1657 induced 300 Piedmontese to settle in New Castle, preceding their later brethren by 246 years. Unfortunately very little is known about the first Italians to settle in New Castle.

These new arrivals were hard, sturdy men from the mountainous region of the Province of the Abruzzi. Most could neither read nor write but possessed a strong will and a determination to succeed. Others came from Tuscany, the Marches, the Roman Provinces and Sicily. They found their way to New Castle by way of Baltimore.

As the railroad wound its way through New Castle, these Italians decided to settle here. It was an important center providing good job opportunities, especially with the railroad, and a home in a small but dynamic community.

The core of the early 1talian community was made up of Carlo Marcozzi, Francesco Antonio, Vincenzo di Giangiacomo, and Pietro Ottaviano. Others followed. By 1913 there was a sizable Italian community.

With the outbreak of World War I a number of these returned to Italy and fought with the Italian army in the mountainous regions of Venezia-Giulia. They experienced both defeat (Caporetto) and victory (the Piave-River from where the order was given to "hold or die"). The Italian Army held and defeated a strong German force. The river Piave ran red with the blood of the combatants on both sides). Many of these early settlers did not return to New Castle. Others did return with their spouses and began anew their life in America. A sizable number joined the American Army when the U.S. entered the war and fought with distinction in France.

After the war the second wave of immigrants arrived in New Castle, and continued until 1933.

The family made up the central core of the group but because of the closeness and unity within the group each family helped one another so that all advanced together.

Italian was the language spoken in the home, thus the children became bilingual. Many of the earlier children upon entering first grade could not speak English but made the adjustment.


Food was simple, the staple being spaghetti, ravioli, and gnocchi. Taiolini, pasta e faccioli, verze e faccioli along with dandelions and rabbi, which were picked wild in early spring, provided a hardy meal for the family. Chickens and rabbits were raised in the backyard. Each family had its garden which supplied tomatoes for sauce, peppers, beans, zucchini and lettuce. Many even had fig trees and grape vines. Some sold the produce from their garden thus providing another source of income.

There were three Italians who sold their produce and should be noted here. They were Enrico Marinelli and Antonio Gotto who were noted for their tomatoes, peppers, beans and beets. Carlo Marcozzi was widely known for his celery. For many years, even after his retirement from the Railroad, he peddled his celery from door to door. This celery grown between boards to bleach it white and burried in trenches until Thanksgiving and Christmas, to give it a special crispness, was widely sought during the holidays.

In the fall, wine was made from grapes shipped from California. There were muscatel, alegante and zinfindel grapes. Those who could not afford to buy the grapes, picked wild cherries and elderberry which was then in abundance. Those who owned a crusher and press would lend it to those who did not own the equipment. With the arrival of the feast of San Martino all would meet at a designated place and sample each others wine and compare one against the other to see who made the best wine. There was much merriment on this occasion.

In early December the men would buy pigs from the nearby farms and on the appointed day kill the pigs, clean them and each would bring his pig home to turn it into sausages, prosciutto, loma or capicolla, and lard. Some of the lard was used for cooking, some for making soap.

At Christmas and Easter time squid, smelts and other fish goodies were in abundance. Easter bread, pizzelle and cagianitti made up the pastries and mazzarella (lamb liver wrapped in lettuce), baccala (dried salted cod) and blessed eggs completed the menu.

Since many of the immigrants were illiterate, education was an important goal for each family. Each child was given an education commensurate with the time--8th grade, high schoo1 and later for some college.

The following descendents of the Italian immigrants graduated from college--- Angelo Baldini was the first male to graduate from college---U.of D. 1945; Loretta Ianni was the first female to graduate from college---Notre Dame of Baltimore 1953 and she received her Masters in 1956. Edward Ianni was the first to acquire a Ph D---U. of Illinois, 1970. Francis Ianni was the first to graduate from West Point, 1954, and acquired two Master Degrees, 1964 and 1966 respectively. Reverend J. Thomas Cini was the first to be ordained a priest. Several others, although not first, graduated from College---Alexander J. Alvini, Anthony Coccia---Ph D in Philosophy; Andrew Marinelli, Galileo Leon De Ascanis, and Francis De Ascanis, Jr. From these children came businesmen, school administrators, executives, military commanders, firemen, policemen, councilmen, Trustees of New Castle Common, and tradesmen.

The Church drew the Italian community together providing spirtual comfort. St. Peter's parish in New Castle served their needs in baptism, marriage, and death. A natural outgrowth of this love of church was the formation of St. Anthony's Society. Since travel was difficult and an Italian priest was not readily available, the Society filled the gap. The Society did provide an Italian priest two times a year---Christmas and Easter. All the men and women would confess and receive communion in a body, after which breakfast was served. At first all brought something, later a nominal fee was charged for breakfast. - Coffee royal was a specialty for the men.

Upon the illness of a member flowers were sent and a visit by his fellow members was the order of the day. Upon the death of a member flowers and mass cards were sent as well as a visitation to the family of the deceased offering condolences and a helping hand. The viewing was at that time held in the home, and on the night of the viewing the men would gather and recite the rosary and the following day accompany their deceased friend to the grave.

The St. Anthony's Society was founded by Vincent Coccia, Guido De Ascanis, Pierino Pierantozzi, and Lugi Marcozzi with the help of Fr. Edward Lienhouser

Carnevale, the night before Ash Wednesday was usually celebrated by individual families or in groups of families. The feast of St. Joseph, March 19th, a group of men and women would go from house to house, block to block singing songs and dancing. The families along the way would offer wine, sausages, and cheese.


The Italian community was served at first by Dr. Francis P. Rovitti and later by Dr. Charles B. Leone, both coming from Wilmington; both very self- sacrificing men.

Although Drs. Rovitti and Leone delivered some babies in the community, the delivering of children was left in the hands of a midwife. Maria Calvarese Baldini studied midwifery in Italy. When a woman was about to give birth, Comara Maria, as she was affectionately called, would move into the home several days before delivery and literally took over the running of the household. She would clean the house, wash the clothes and cook the meals for the family. After the birth of the child she would remain until the mother was able to get around. For this she received her keep since none could afford money. Comara Maria was credited with delivering 90% of the children up to 1939. About 1940 or 1941 hospitals came into wider use.


Whenever a son or daughter married, the Van Dyke Armory was rented for the reception. Every Italian family was invited. Italian sandwiches, pastries, cumbitti, wine, beer and whiskey were plentiful. An Italian band provided entertainment. They would dance the waltz and the tarantella along with other favorite Italian dances.

Several customs were observed in the Italian Community which should be noted here. In November, on the feast of St. Martin, friends would come together for the tasting of the new wine made in September. Roasted chestnuts and various Italian pastries were traditional menu items. The evening before Ash Wednesday - Carnevale - was celebrated family style where certain prescribed foods were eaten and songs sung before beginning the Lenten fast. Midway through Lent, the feast of St. Joseph was celebrated. In the evening the men would form a grouop and would visit all the homes in the neighborhood. The group would be accompanied by several musicians - one plaving the accordian, another playing the zimbele, one would carry a basket which was soon filled with donations of food stuffs to be given to the poor. Religious songs were sung in honor of St. Joseph. Relaxation of the lenten fast for an evening was permitted. As lent drew to a close, the family would be busy making Easter bread and boiled eggs, the traditional lamb too was being prepared for Easter. On Holy Saturday, the homes were wide ready to receive the priest who would bless the homes. The final celebration in the calendar of events was the feast of St. Anthony, patron Saint of Italy - June 13th.


The earliest known event carried out by the Italian Community was the celebration of Columbus Day. It was organized by Giovanni Lalli. It was celebrated on October 12 in the evening, after everyone had returned from work. This event took place from 1913 to 1918.

The Pestatore Band from Philadelphia supplied the music. The men would assemble in the West End and march through the streets and moved down Delaware Street to the wharf. Fireworks would be lined up along the wharf and the general population be treated to a splendid fireworks display.

Mr. Lalli would lead the parade riding a white stallion. His children would carry a picture of Christopher Columbus and the men would follow.


St. Gabriel's Lodge, O.S.I.A.

St. Anthony s Club was a local club and served the community well. It did not wish to be part of a National Organization. As a result those members wished to have national ties, founded the Lodge in 1953 and affiliated itself with the Order Sons of Italy in America.
This organization was not a rival to St. Anthony s Club, in fact both organizations worked side by side on many local projects. Luigi Indellini was the founder of the Lodge and served as its leader foir many years.

The Business Community

A number of immigrants became successful businessmen in the community.


Giovanni Gambacorta,  founded  Gambacorta Motors in 1939.  He began by selling used cars while employed at the Old Delaware Rayon plant.  He was able to obtain a Willy franchise and began selling cars full time.  The early years were a struggle but victory is not gained without a struggle.  In 1946 a Kaiser franchise was obtained  and Mr. Gambacorta sold Kaiser-Frazers, the Henry J as well as Willy Jeeps.  When Kaiser withdrew from the automobile business a Chrysler franchise was secured.  His children, Vincent, Henry and Anthony took over the operation of the business and it was the largest Chrysler-Plymouth dealership in the Delaware Valley.


Giovanni DiMondi,  founder of Delaware Block Company, was working for Earnest Disabatino and Sons in the early 1930’s.  He acquired a hand block machine and began making blocks in his backyard after work and selling them.   He persuaded Mr. Disabatino to buy from him and in turn Mr. Disabatino allowed him to quit his job and to make blocks full time.  Mr. Disabatino became his first big customer and induced fellow contractors to buy from Delaware Block Company.  As business expanded Giovanni purchased the property on 7th Street parallel to the railroad tracks and moved his operation there.  When World War II started the government bought blocks to build army barracks and housing projects for defense workers.  From a humble beginning, Delaware Block became the largest supplier of blocks in the Delaware Valley.  Wyoming Block and other small companies were owned by Delaware Block.  The children Joseph, Pasquale and Francis eventually took over the business.

The founder of Aldo Gibellino and Son was Aldo Gibellino who was a carpenter with the Giuseppe Bellanca Aircraft Corporation.  When Bellanca sold his interest, Gibellino formed a partnership with Guido DeAscanis to build homes on South Street in New Castle.  After that project, Gibellino went into business for himself and built Penn Acres development .  This was a long lasting project that eventually was taken over by his son Ronald.

Guido DeAscanis & Sons was founded by Guido DeAscanis who was a stonemason and bricklayer.  He began by repairing sidewalks and rehabilitating old homes in the West End.  After the war he formed a partnership with Aldo Gibellino to build homes on South Street.   After that project Guido entered the custom home building field in which he excelled.  The firm built Van Dyke Village and Washington Square in New Castle, as well as a number of projects in New Castle County.  The firm was later operated by his children, Francis, Emmett, Guido Jr., and Joseph.

Joseph and Daniel Aceto began rehabilitating homes in New Castle about 1965.  Through their efforts many homes were spared the wrecking ball. 


Domenico DiSabatino opened his shop in 1928.  Domenico was a skilled tradesman.  He could make a complete pair of shoes.  The business was later taken over by his son, Francis.


The first barber was William Antonio, son of Francesco Antonio.  He opened a shop in New Castle on a full time basis.  Sabatino Di Domenicis also cut hair from time to time while holding a full time job.  But the barber who served the Italian community the longest was Pasquale Vanucci.  He held a full time job with the American Brake Shoe (Abex) on the midnight shift and cut hair each evening.


Giovanni Lalli was the first tailor to serve the community.  He moved to Philadelphia in 1920 to continue his trade.  Many of his paesano’s continued to travel to Philadelphia to have their suits made by him.  Mr. Lalli was an early leader in the Italian community being credited with the celebration of Columbus Day from 1913 to 1920.

Nicola Santucci who lived in Wilmington opened up his shop in 1925 serving as tailor and dry cleaners.  The business was later operated by his son, Albert.

Silvio Ciabattoni, a relative newcomer, opened his shop in 1965.  He carried a complete line of men’s clothing as well as dry cleaning services.


Francesco Sulpizi opened his shop in 1928.  His specialty was bread and pizza.  The Italian community was served fresh Italian bread every day.  Many would eat the bread when it was still warm adding olive oil for flavoring.  What a treat!  At Easter time the ladies would use his facilities to bake Easter bread and for weddings to cook chickens and turkeys.  During the fall hunting season, a favorite pastime involved cooking the results of the hunt at the bakery and then bringing it to the club for feasting.   Luigi and Emidio Marcozzi, Pietro Mangini as well as James Tritelli and Anthony Marcozzi were some of the best hunters bringing home a bountiful collection of rabbits, ducks, geese, pheasants and black birds.  Nicolo Ianni, a former cook in the Italian Navy, was signed on as chief chef for these occasions.


Francesco Covelli had a small store run by his wife. Fresh milk was provided by his own cows.

Pietro Octavio had a small grocery store serving the southern part of the West End.

Pasquale Marcozzi started his business in 1928.  He served the usual Italian products until 1946 when he moved to Wilmington and operated bar and pizzeria at Scott & Lancaster Sts.

Michelle Iannoni first started a store at 9th & Clayton Sts in Carlo Marcozzi’s house in 1932.  He had saved many a family from starvation by extending credit to members of the community.  The business was later operated by his son Angelo.

Joseph Gotto
operated a grocery store at the corners of 9th and Clayton during the late 40's and early 50's.


James Antonio  purchased Antonio’s Cafe.  He worked many hours and maintained a good place.  The business was later taken over by his son, John.


Assunta Sulpizi operated a delicatessen  which she opened in 1946.

Teodoro Yacucci operated a soda bottling plant from his home and the product was distributed locally.

Natale Alvini and Alberto Zanni opened the first sandwich shop in New Castle in 1937.  Hot dogs and hamburgers were their specialty.  Clams on the half shell were a delight.  Richmonds ice cream and an assortment of candies were available. 

Cass’s sub shop was founded by Anthony and Lena Castiglione and opened in 1950.  Steak sandwiches were their specialty.

Vincent Manetti operated Manetti’s Restaurant featuring Italian foods.

Vincent and Americo Coccia operated the Pompei Restaurant for many years featuring Italian and American cuisine.

The Federicci family operated a restaurant at 2nd and Chestnut Sts between 1937 and 1940.

The following, although not closely related to the Italian Community in New Castle deserve mention since their businesses were within one mile radius of New Castle. They were Vincenzo DelAversano who operated a sand pit below the city. Giuseppe Bosco operated a tavern in the same general area. Daniel Mattasino operated Continental Block in Wilmington Manor, and Giuseppe Rizzo, a general contractor located above the city in the vicinity of the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

St. Anthony’s Band

St. Anthony’s band began in 1939 under the leadership of Francesco Covelli, Giovanni Ioannoni, and Luigi Indellini.  There were 30 members in the band and it disbanded during World War II.

The Maestro, Don Domenico Guadieri from Naples Italy was brought to New Castle by the band committee.  He was housed at the Yacucci residence and given employment at the American Brake Shoe Co (Abex). 

The Maestro was a strict disciplinarian.  Practice was held on the 2nd floor of St. Anthony’s Club every Tuesday evening.  Many former band members carried scars from the Maestro’s baton, which he used to remind everyone when they hit  a sour note or were not paying attention.  It was a very good band, being called upon to play in the local St. Anthony’s Day Celebration as well as other festive occasions for miles around.

St. Anthony’s Club

In 1933 the No. 3 Public School building at the north end of Gray Street was abandoned in favor of the new William Penn School  located on Delaware St between 9th and 10th sts. 

The president of the Society suggested to the membership that it purchase the building in the name of the Society for its use.

Vincenzo DiMenco conceived  the idea to found an Italian Club.  Others who played an important role were Luigi Marcozzi and Guido DeAscanis.

It was suggested that a meeting be held for the purpose of purchasing the building.  The Board of Education was approached and offered $500.00 for the building.  The members promptly raised the money to purchase it and renovations began in 1935.  The building was ready for occupancy in 1936.

With the purchase of the building the activities moved to that location.  The club provided the Italian Community with a unique meeting place and social life.  The St. Anthony’s Society, the St. Anthony’s band and citizenship classes were organized.  A strong sports program was established where players and spectators participated enthusiastically.

On Sundays and week days the men would play cards and bocce ball.  Later a full sports was put into effect-baseball and football. There were a number of championship teams prior to World War II.  After World War II a Little League ball team as well as a Semi Pro baseball and softball team were sponsored.  In football a new name was added – ‘St. Anthony’s Sons of Rest team’ coached by Dominick Manetti and Salvatore Arcidiacono.  Picnics were held during the summer months at White Crystal Beach in Maryland.

The club also served as a Social Hall where small parties and American citizenship classes were held.  It became the center of St. Anthony’s Day celebrations.

Service to Our Country

During World War I Francesco Ianni was decorated with the Silver Star while serving in France.  Relio DeBoto served with distinction in France and he along with Philip Susi was prominent in the Delaware National Guard.

With the outbreak of World War II many sons of the now established immigrants served in the Armed Forces of the United States.  A number of them achieved high rank in the Army and National Guard.

Anthony Marcozzi, son of Carlo, was killed in action while serving in France with the 101st Airborne Division.  Americo Coccia became a Captain in the Army.  Lt. Colonel Julian Cini Jr. was one of Army’s leading Air Defense experts.  Francis Ianni Jr. a graduate of West Point retired as a Colonel and was appointed Adjutant General of the Delaware National Guard in 1977 with the rank of Major General.  Pasquale Marinelli, James Marcozzi,  Augustine DiGirolamo and Anthony  Quattrociocchi achieved the rank of Brig. General.  James Sulpizi was a Colonel and Joseph DiAngelo retired as Lt. Colonel in the National Guard. 

Civic Leaders

A number of citizens played an important role in the civic and political life of the community.  Joseph DiMondi was the first Italian to be elected as a member of the Trustees of New Castle Common. Later Francis DeAscanis and Henry Gambacorta  joined its ranks.  The Trustees of the Common, whose members are elected for life, administer the lands left in ‘Common’ by the Dutch in 1651, and reaffirmed by William Penn in 1701 for the benefit of the citizens of New Castle.

Pasquale Marinelli, Daniel Susi and Philip Susi served on the New Castle City council.  John T. Cini also served on council and also as the Chief of Police.Paul Camponelli served on council and and as police officer.

Although various persons in the Italian community played important roles none was so broadly involved as Philip Susi in various civic activities.

Philip Susi came to America when he was 10 yrs old.  He attended the local schools and acquired a good speaking knowledge of English.  Since the other Italians could not speak English, Philip served as their interpreter.  This put him in a unique position of being involved in every facet of the Italian community.  He served as President of St. Anthony’s Day celebration and  St. Anthony’s Club. He played important roles in St. Anthony Society and band.  Philip served on City Council for a number of years. He was also president of Goodwill Fire Co and the County Firemans Association,  president of New Castle Little League, coach and manager of St. Anthony’s baseball and football teams,  Chairman of the 3rd District Democratic Organization, and was active in the National Guard.   He singlehandedly built the Little League Association into a dynamic organization for youth.  With the help of Joseph DiMondi materials were donated to build six playing fields for both boys and girls. Philip has been honored by the Italian Community as well as the Fire Company and Little League Association.

Joseph DiMondi, prior to his death in 1974 was active in St. Anthony’s Society and celebration.  He was a great supporter of the Little League and Democratic Party.

 Today the Italian community has matured from an immigrant community to a well established and important segment of this small town on the west shore of the Delaware River.

The first Italian immigrant to settle in New Castle was Carlo Marcozzi who arrived in 1898 and lived aboard a river boat initially.  Carlo returned to Italy in 1902 and returned to New Castle in 1903 bringing with him his wife Maria and his brothers, Francesco, Davido and Silvestro.  Along with Marcozzi brothers a number of other Italians began to arrive.  They were as follows:  Francesco Antonio, Vincenzo DiGiangiacomo (Gonzon), Pietro Octaviano (Octavio), Giaginto DiSantis, Luigi, Achille and Antonio Marcozzi, Ferdinando Tritelli, Giovanni DiMonte (DiMondi), Antonio DiMario, Francesco Covelli, Giovanni Lalli, Francesco and Nicola Ianni, Feliciano Susi, Illario and Enrico Manetti, Antonio Ciafre (Jeffrey),  Italo Castiglione, Illario and Francesco Baldini, Tadeo Sterlicchi, Sabatino DiDomenicus, Antonio DiPietropaolo (DiPietropaul), Luciano DiGiralamo, Iafette Celli, Nicola Consorti, Teodoro Iacucci (Yacucci),Guido Camponelli plus a host of others whose name are known to the forgotten past made up the Italian community prior to World War I.

After World War I quite a few of the early settlers found there way to New Castle via Baltimore.  Enrico Marinelli, Aurellio Trabuzzi (Relio DeBoto) , Giovanni and Pietro Camello (Camelli) , Pietro Mancini (Mangini), Cino Cini, Antonio Gatti (Gotto), Cesare Vagnoni, Carlo Spacasassa,  and Rafaello DeVito.

Others though friends and family came directly to New Castle. These were Francesco, Romini and Guido Sulpizi, Emedio Marcozzi, Antonio Calvarese, Antonio Esopi, Domenico Chirilli, Orazio Arcidiacono, Natale Alvini, Antonio Barbizzi,Domenico DiSabatino, Luigi Indellini, Pasquale Vanucci, Pierino Pierantozzi,  Angelo Quattrociocchi, Aldo Gibellino, Antonio and Carmine D’Angelo (DiAngelo), Domenico Giansanti, Bruno Giacomelli, Alberto Di Fillipo (Phillips), Domenico Stortini, Giovanni Gambacorta, Pietro Cerroni,Francesco Calvarese, Giovanni and Michelle Ioannoni, Vincenzo DiMenco, Gaetano Astolfi, Beniamino Petrucci, Vincenzo Celani, Giuseppe Cimino, Michele Cerra, Nicola DiTunna, Nazareno, Fillipe Gallie and Pasquale DiStanislao.



Santo Francesco Suppe (originally Suppi) was born in Fittá near Soave. He lived in New Castle nearly 60 years. He was active in St. Peter’s Parish and was at one time Chief Engineer of the Goodwill Fire Company. His son Francis (Frank Suppe) earned a degree in engineering at University of Delaware, was Fire Chief of Goodwill and was Vice-President of Factory Mutual, the largest self-insurance company in the United Stated States.


Here is the Gambacorta story as told by Jimmy and Henry.

"A young immigrant arrives in the United States becomes a citizen, works diligently, starts a family and build a business. It’s the stuff of the American dream".
Giovanni Gambacorta, our father, was born in Teramo, Italy, in the region of Abruzzo in 1899.
He came to America in 1923. He was twenty-four years old. He settled in New Castle. Delaware. Times were difficult then, but he was able to find work as a pressman at the Delaware Rayon Company, on the Delaware River, south of the town. The company manufactured artificial silk. To save the 10 cent trolley fare, he walked three miles to work. His job involved something known as “shift work” in those days. One week he worked from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, the next week, it was from 4:00 PM to midnight, and following that, from midnight to 8:00 AM.
While attending a family wedding in Wilmington, our father met a wonderful lady, Ida (Edith) DiSantis, also an immigrant and also an Abruzzese. Her family came from Tortoretto Lido, near his town of Teramo. They were married in 1926, at St. Peter’s Church in New Castle. They had seven children: Vinanzo (Jimmy), Theresa, Enrico (Henry), Rosa (deceased 1998), Giovanna, Anthony and Mary Virginia.
Our father might have lacked a formal education, but he was blessed with much ambition. A no nonsense guy, he was. He saved every penny he could.
Not yet getting a handle on the English language, one day he mustered up a bit of bravery and went to negotiate with a local gentleman for a small piece of marshy land a mile or so from where he lived. The seller and he agreed to a price of $480.00. Our father gave the man a deposit of $20.00 and a promise to pay off the balance within a year. Now he was a land owner. In his spare time, he filled in the land with dirt, cinder and sand, and, eventually, constructed a two-bay garage.  The garage was made of building blocks, which he himself made, one at a time.Our father often talked about the dream he had. He would begin a business and he would grow it with the aid of family members, and he would have, in time, his own family-operated automobile dealership store.
It all started for him in 1934. He opened a small auto repair shop, with gas pumps featuring Amoco gas. Some seven years later, just prior to our country’s entry into World War 11, he acquired a new car franchise from the Willys-Overland Motorcar Company, which was at Toledo, Ohio. A small company, the total car model line-up consisted of only one model. It was called “The Americar”. The Willys-Overland Factory is the same outfit that came to produce the phenomenal, versatile, indestructible Willys Four-Wheel-Drive Jeep, the vehicle which gained tremendous popularity throughout the world.
Following the war in 1947, our father acquired the Kaiser-Frazer new car franchise. Here, now, was a brand new car manufacturer, organized by shipbuilder, Henry J. Kaiser and a gentleman named George Frazer.
The oldest of seven children, I have a favorite father-son experience to share. When I returned from military service, my father said to me I was going to work with him at his gas station (he did not ask-he instructed).  I would be working six days a week, he explained, but I would only be working half days. It sounded to me like a pretty good deal and I did go to work for him.  However, my job turned out to be not what I envisioned: from the outset, I learned that my father’s half days meant…twelve hours.

In 1956, when Henry and Anthony also joined the company, our father got his first real break: He was appointed the Chrysler and Plymouth dealer in town. As time went on, grandson and granddaughters, a niece and a nephew all become members of the automobile operation.
In 1968, our father was ready to retire from the business. However, he continued to be part of the company! He loved to check in “at the garage” (the name he used for his dealership facility). While “at the garage”, he loved it best when he wore the hat of “customer greeter/receptionist” in our service department or in our showroom.The golden years were good for him. He traveled a bit, stayed closely in touch with his four brothers and a sister in Italy, and he spent some time bragging about the figs, celery and tomatoes he grew in his garden.Our father was a true family man. All his life, he really didn’t get into fun things, like going to the movies, taking in a ball game , or dining out. He didn’t have a real hobby, though he did play bocce now and then on a Sunday afternoon with tutti I compare. The man didn’t do vacations.An Italian in every sense of the word, his family was his life. The most exquisite pleasure for him was Sunday dinner, his family about him, around the table.  Family picnics and the traditional fiestas was his cup of tea.  He enjoyed participating in the St. Joseph’s Day festivities, St. Anthony’s Day processions, the Christmas season, Easter, First Holy Communions and weddings.Our father passed away in 1998. He was 87 years old. Our mother left us in 1998.
When we do the counting today of family members, we total sixty-two descendants brought into our world as a result of the union of Giovanni and Ida.  That’s not bad for a mn who didn’t quite understand, as the whole world understood, that working a half a day meant…..four hours.
Jimmy and Henry Gambacorta


Hometowns in Italy of settlers to New Castle, Delaware


Alvini.......................Mosciano S Angelo

Antonio....................Del Gran Sasso




Barbizzi...................Castel Delama.

Calvarese................Castel Delama

Calvarese................Mosciano S Angelo

 Camelli...................S Omero

Camponelli..............Ascoli Piceno


Celani......................Ascoli Piceno








 Cini.........................Rippa Fratta

 Clementoni............Mosciano S Angelo




De Boto...................Roma

DeAscanis...............S Omero



Di Stanislao.............Martin Sicura

Dialessandro..........S Omero

DiAmario................S Omero 





DiMenco.................S Omero



DiSabatino...............Poggio Morello


DiTunna..................Castel Delama


Esopi.......................Castel Delama


Gallie......................Ascoll Piceno



 Giansanti................Castel Delama





Indellini..................Poggio Morello

Ioannoni.................Mondorio Al Vomano

Lalli........................Castel Delama


Mangini.................Ascoli Piceno




Nepi….....................Castel Delama

Octavio...................Isle Del Gran Sasso

Petrucci..................Ascoli Piceno 





Rizzo........................Montlado Unfiugo





Sulpizi.......................Castel Delama


Tritelli......................Poggi Cono

Vagoni......................Castel Delama

Vannuucci.................Poggio Morello


Zanni........................Mosciano S Angelo



Website Builder